Sunday 17 April 2011

17/30 NaPoWriMo Worcester

I had the pleasure of running a Workshop in Worcester for some very lovely and talented people today. I drove because it was impossible to get a train there on a Sunday in time for the start of the workshop. It was a beautiful day to drive through some lovely countryside. The Radio Four news however reminded me that the world still has it's problems. I put Worcester in the title as a tribute and reminder of the workshop. Thank you all who came and thanks for having me.

Worcester Welcomes Careful Drivers

This is the season of hopefulness;
of new life, powder blue skies
and new broom breezes.

A Sunday for driving to scenes
that Whistler and Turner
would duel to the death to paint.

This is middle England
dressed in Matins best
when Grandma comes to visit.

In the car, charcoal,
two shades darker than it needs to be
sketches the world’s portrait.

Slavery, corruption, murder,
rape as warfare and
disaster victims hitch a lift.

I will mix Paynes Grey
into my vocabulary;
clip optimism’s wings.

I shall relearn my mother tongue
two shades darker
than it needs to be.

1 comment:

  1. ... Ahhh !! SO glad i stumbled upon you from the NaPoWriMo site ...
    you have a keen observant heart & that you used "paynes grey" in your piece - well, won my praise !! thank you !

    ReplyDelete