Monday 2 April 2012

NaPoWriMo 2/30

Monday 2 April, 2012

Voice

This is my mission, my raison d’etre,
my philosophical statement and love letter
to words; their power and precision
which after too many years prompted the decision
To make them my life and my living
So it’s much more than just random thoughts I’m giving.
It’s my humanity and vocation fulfilled
It’s my heartfelt thoughts and imagination distilled.


It’s me, at last being true to me
Resisting temptation to ape others I see
Who seem to be playing on a bigger stage
For jealousy can imprison you without the steel cage.
And I don’t want to be a carbon copy Cooper Clark,
A poor man’s John Hegley or knock-off Larkin
I’d rather be a first class me, than a third rate anyone else
So forgive me, but I just won’t lie to myself.

To live or die by my words, is my final choice
Because I don’t want to be an echo. I want to be a voice.

2 comments:

  1. Nice couplets. (Somehow that comment sounds filthy now I read it back)

    Definitely walk your own path and avoid becoming an ape man.

    You are a truly talented individual with so many facets..a real diamond geezer..it's absolutely appropriate for you to believe in yourself, as we who know you do, and reach for the stars so you rightly stand amongst them and give yourself a chance to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I can definitely hear your voice coming through!!

    ReplyDelete